Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A little look back (and forth)

Happy 2014, everyone!  I've managed to fall behind a bit on my blog posts (I choose to blame end of semester papers and the holidays)... and there's quite a lot to cover even just from my short research trip to Bavaria, which I'm really looking forward to sharing!

This morning, as I was in the shower thinking of All The Things that happened in 2013, it suddenly dawned on me that 2013 had marked my ten year anniversary of costume making.  Somehow, during the course of the year, this had totally escaped me.  It's kind of crazy to think that I've been doing this costuming thing for over a decade now, and I thought it would be fun to look back at where it all began.



In the spring of 2003, not long after my 17th birthday, I bought myself over eight yards of polyester lining fabric, some sort of silver metallic trim, and a Butterick pattern to make what I refered to in my diary as "a Sharpe era dress".  The dress was completely sewn by machine, laced up the back with metal eyelets, was 100% polyester inside and out, and I loved it.  I think it's fair to say that this dress, no matter how it appears in retrospect, changed my life in innumerable ways.

Ten years later!


I have learned and changed SO MUCH from 2003-2013, and now that a new year is starting I'm really curious to discover where the next ten years will take me!

It's also been about ten years since I first discovered that there were other costumers online, and started following others and posting my own things.  It would be so interesting to see "then and now" pictures of everyone!  Not only have we all changed, but the internet and picture taking and knowledge sharing has radically changed as well... hopefully all for the better.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow- and you look very different too! You've certainly mastered the period hair :)

    I have to admit that I used the Butterick pattern back around age 17 too.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! SO MANY costumers that I know have used that pattern in the dark days of our youths... I feel like it was a pretty common starting point. ;)

      Delete