Saturday, May 18, 2013

Stitching the First Oval Office

This summer will be rather different from any other which I've experienced, and I'm really excited about what I'll be doing!

I'll still be sewing for my paycheck, that part hasn't changed; but I'll be wearing costumes instead of making them, and am part of a team making a massive, linen, 18th century reproduction tent.  Which tent?  None other than George Washington's Sleeping Marquee.

The project is through the partnership of Colonial Williamsburg and the nascent Museum of the American Revolution (which owns the original tent that we're reproducing).  Fabric has been specially woven, all wooden poles and stakes are being made by the joiners and wheelwrights at Williamsburg, and for fourteen weeks this summer a group of us will be constructing the tent itself.  It's really rather wonderful having the chance to work on such a unique project, and to be on the interpreter side of things instead of always behind the scenes.

Today was our first official day, and it promises to be a very interesting summer!

 The team busily stitching pieces of the inner tent.  That's me on the far left, and for once I'm not wearing anything which I made!

The whole project is being very well documented, and if you're at all interested you can like the facebook page which has a lot of great info about the project, check out the blog, or even watch us live on one of the Colonial Williamsburg webcams(yeah, you can watch me throughout each entire work day... which isn't stalkerish at all.)

5 comments:

  1. Hehe! I C U!

    This sounds rather interesting, really. I made a square marquee for my 16th C stuff (on a sewing machine, not by hand) and it was an interesting learning experience. I'm assuming (haven't checked out any of the project yet) that the tent itself is linen? Having dealt with all sorts of fun materials when it comes to tents, the cotton twill seems to be the best - but I doubt that's what was used in period. We have a tendency to just care about the look, not the fibers, in the SCA world. Can't wait to see updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project is really fascinating, and I've already learned a lot just in the first week!

      Yes, the tent (like all tents in the 18th century) is made of linen, as they had been since the medieval period. The inner chamber of the tent is a herringbone twill, and the outer marquee is made of canvas. I don't know what practical differences there would be between linen and cotton tents, but cotton was really only used for tents after it became cheaper and more readily available than linen.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful project. I've awarded you an Inspiring Blogger Award (http://olympesdiary.blogspot.com/2013/05/inspiring-blogger-award.html). Thank you for the always interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! That's awfully sweet of you!

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! Lucky you :) I've been avidly looking at the photos on Facebook and thinking "sewing all day WHILE getting to wear historical clothing...I would PAY to do that."

    ReplyDelete