Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Paintings of the lower sort- still in 1795!

Unless I decide to add backgrounds, the paintings are done. 

I worked quite a bit smaller than normal on these, using paper about 12x20 inches large for each piece, with the figures being approximately 6-9 inches tall.  That's about the size I normally like to paint faces.

One of the things that had impressed me about the original 1795 ad was how colorful so many of the garments described were.  I tried to get that same feeling of color in the paintings without it turning into a circus (though that would have been fun... late 18th cen circus... hmmm).  After all, how often do you ever run across yellow, purple, and white striped trousers?

clothes of the common man- 1795


clothes of the common man- 1795

clothes of the common man- 1795

These were all painted on rag paper primed with gesso, and, as per my usual, are done with oil paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment